Saturday, April 25, 2009

Learn english in Latin America!


The English speakers of the world have quite an advantage when they travel anywhere. It may be difficult to communicate sometimes, but if any person knows a little of any other language than their own, it is most likely English. I have met several English-speaking travelers so far that know very little, if any, Spanish or Portugues, and they seem to survive just fine.

Even more interesting was Chui, a Taiwanese girl I met in Montevideo. She is traveling alone like myself, and doesn´t speak nary a word of Spanish. But she doesn´t speak English either; she uses English words when she knows them, and her electronic translator when she doesn´t. I thought this was fascinating and inspiring: if this timid Taiwanese girl who is 100-pounds soaking wet can travel solo, anyone can.

"And my English has gotten better!" she says to me, as we sit in a hostel room in Latin America. IncreĆ­ble.

No comments:

Post a Comment